A 13-year-old girl in Maine suffered first and second-degree burns when her iPhone caught fire in her pocket while she was at school. Ah yes, that awkward middle school moment when your pants catch on fire in front of the entire class.
The eighth grader heard a popping sound on Friday morning and noticed smoke starting to billow around her. Before anyone could say “liar, liar, pants on fire,” the girls’ classmates ushered the boys out of the room so the girl could take off her flaming pants. First take care of modesty, and then worry about the second-degree burns!
After the girl did the “stop, drop and roll” (see, school teaches you something!), her friends alerted the teaching staff who quickly brought a fire blanket and extinguisher.
The girl was taken to Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford where she was treated for burns and later released.
Fire officials speculate that her Apple iPhone 5C battery “shorted out” when the girl sat down.
“People should obviously use caution when placing their phones in their back pockets so as not to crush them and cause an electrical short,” one official said.
Explosions and fires caused by Apple products are relatively rare, but you can never be too careful about a fire in you pants. Past incidents of Apple products spontaneously bursting into flames have mostly been the result of the devices’ lithium ion batteries overheating.
No word yet on whether or not the school will suspend the girl for violating the school’s strict dress code. Absolutely NO hot pants!
Via: CBC News