Conspiracy theorist and patriotic crier Glenn Beck may finally be getting what’s coming to him.
Following the bombing at the Boston Marathon last year, Glenn Beck went on a personal crusade to prove that Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi, a student who was injured in the bombing, was actually an al Qaeda agent who financed the whole attack and recruited the Tsarnaev brothers to carry it out. And now he’s getting sued.
According to Glenn Beck, the 20-year-old Saudi Arabian student was clearly behind the bombing. First, he’s Saudi Arabian. And if that wasn’t enough proof, he was also questioned by police after the attack. It didn’t matter to Glenn Beck that the police cleared him of any wrongdoing or that the FBI had already identified the Tsarnaev brothers as the primary suspects, all that mattered was that a Saudi national was present during a terrorist attack – and that is very suspicious.
The crazed radio host then urged the U.S. government to release information on Alharbi, accusing the Obama administration of engaging in a massive cover-up regarding al Qaeda’s role in the bombings. Beck gave the government three days to come clean about the cover-up. Three days of silence later, he decided to take things into his own hands and expose Alharbi for the terrorist he is.
“Let me send this message very clear,” Beck said. ”We know who this Saudi national is. … We know who this man is and, listen to me carefully, we know he is a very bad, bad, bad man.”
And Beck kept going: “While the media continues to look at what the causes were [behind] these two guys, there are, at this hour, three people involved,” he said, alleging the U.S. government had “tagged” Alharbi as a “proven terrorist”. (note: the US government did not tag Alharbi as a proven terrorist…)
“You know who the Saudi is?” Beck asked his viewers. “He’s the money man. He’s the guy who paid for it.”
Well now the so called money man is suing Glenn Beck for defamation. The lawsuit, which was filed Friday in the U.S. District Court in Boston, alleges that:
“Beck repeatedly and falsely identified Mr. Alharbi as an active participant, repeatedly questioned the motives of federal officials in failing to pursue or detain Alharbi and repeatedly and falsely accused Mr. Alharbi of being a criminal who had funded the attacks,”
“Alharbi has received numerous messages, internet postings and other communications based on Beck’s false statements accusing him of being a murderer, child killer and terrorist.”
Sounds about right. The notoriously loud Beck has remained pretty quiet since the lawsuit was filed. Hopefully it will encourage him to tone down his rhetoric… but it
probably definitely won’t.