Turns out NFL players are more tolerant than the rest of American society.
According to a new survey from ESPN, 86% of NFL players are OK with having a gay teammate – and the other 14% have had too many concussions to even understand the question. The study, which surveyed 51 NFL players (so the margin of error is about a million…), reveals that while most players are fine with a gay teammate, 12 out of 51 wouldn’t shower around them – presumably because they’ve seen one too many prison movies. Gay NFL players (aka Michael Sam – the only openly gay player) will still face some locker room homophobia though. 32 players said they had teammates or coaches who used homophobic slurs last season, and when asked whether an openly gay player would be comfortable in a NFL locker room, just 25 players said yes. Another 21 NFL players said they wouldn’t feel comfortable and five refused to respond – which I’m going to put down as a no. ESPN
Is lifting 900,000 people above the poverty line worth killing off 500,000 jobs? We’ll soon find out in this year’s election battle! Adding fuel to the fiery income inequality debate, a new report by the Congressional Budget Office says that Obama’s proposed minimum wage hike would destroy some jobs but also take people out of poverty. According to their estimations, raising the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $10.10 by 2016 would move 900,000 people above the poverty line, raise overall real income for all by $2 billion, boost earnings for some 16.5 million people, but potentially destroy 500,000 jobs. Luckily, the 500,000 marginally skilled people who will lose their jobs can easily find new employment in this booming economy. Oh wait… Politico
The Russian hockey team, Putin’s prize Olympic possession, has been knocked out in the quarterfinals. The Olympics are over for Russia, everybody go home. Russia’s early elimination ended with the team getting booed off the ice following their surprising loss to Finland. After the crushing defeat, in which Russia only scored one goal, Russian Coach Zinetula Bilyaledinov told reporters to “eat me alive right now” after one journalist asked him: “What future, if any, do you see for your own work and for your coaching staff? Because, you know, your predecessor was eaten alive after the Olympics …” Well that’s kind of a weird thing to say. Meanwhile, the U.S. and Canada will face off in hockey after beating both their opponents. Toronto Star
A Chinese man decided to sacrifice himself to a bunch of Bengal tigers after seeing how depressing their caged lives were. Yang Jinhai climbed into the Chengdu Zoo tiger enclosure in an attempt to offer his body up as dinner in order to improve the lives of the caged animals. Unfortunately, 27-year-old Yang Jinhai wasn’t the filet mignon he thought he was. The mentally disturbed (obvs) man spent 20 minutes making “exaggerated movements” while trying to tempt the tigers, but the tigers treated him like chopped liver. “I asked them to bite me and let them eat my meat, and so I did not fight back,” Jinhai told a local paper after zoo staff tranquilized the animals and rescued him. Daily Mail
Pussy Riot got pussy whipped in Sochi today. While the six members of the punk rock band/left-wing organization attempted to perform in Sochi, Cossacks and other security officials moved in to attack them with horsewhips. Video footage shows the Cossacks using their weapon of choice (whips) along with what appears to be pepper spray. The incident lasted less than three minutes, but left one group member on the ground bleeding. The attack comes just a day after Russian police detained two members of the group for 10 hours for what turned out to be no reason. With all the headlines they making at the Sochi Games, I bet Putin is wishing he hadn’t pardoned them after all. BBC News
After a violent week of clashes between protesters and police, Ukraine President Viktor Yanukovych has finally agreed a truce with opposition leaders. Was it the 25 deaths? The 240 injuries? The EU’s threat to adopt “targeted measures against those responsible for violence and use of excessive force”? Or President Obama’s warning that “there will be consequences” for anyone who steps over the line in Ukraine? Either way the president has agreed to start “negotiations” aimed at stabilizing the situation and ending the bloodshed. Earlier in the day, Yanukovych sacked the head of the armed forces, but what the protesters really want is for Yanukovych to sack himself. How will Yanukovych negotiate himself out of that one? Stay tuned. Chicago Tribune